Wednesday 1 October 2014

Healthy Lentil 'Shepherds' pie


 Today has been a feast day of gorgeous comfort food! I really fancied a shepherd's pie, but of course, without the meat.

Whenever I want something inspired by meat dishes I go for either brown/green lentils or aduki beans. Lentils are much easier and cheaper to get hold of, so are usually the first choice.

I had my organic veg order arrive yesterday. So having planned what we were going to make this week, the shepherd's pie was first on the list!

We always batch bake in this house because I can't cook most days, if I want to cook, someone is always helping, as in I choose the ingredients, sit down and tell them what to cook, and do the taste testing..

Today's meal is definitely a keeper! (I'm getting the hang of writing these recipes down)
Super comforting and super filling! If you need that full feeling without the fear of piling on the lbs,
I really suggest you try this.

So here it is.

Vegan Lentil Shepherds Pie.




You will need.
A large rectangular oven dish
A very big pan, or deep sided wok
2 pans to boil your veg and lentils.

Serves 6-8 people - I made 6 portions, because I like my food!

Ingredients

1 cup dried green lentils
1 leek
1 celery
1 red bell pepper
2 courgettes (zucchini)
400g chestnut mushrooms
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 stock cube or 1 and a half tbsp stock powder in 250ml boiled water
1 tsp turmeric
black pepper
6 slices or grated vegan cheese (optional)

Mash topping.
1 butternut squash
3 mini-medium potatoes


Start boiling the lentils.
In a food processor, blitz the celery and leek till they are very small pieces.
Add to the wok or large pan and with a little oil sweat them down.
Process or chop the mushrooms to how you like them, I used my chunky strip blade on my food processor. Leave to one side.
Chunky chop the courgette and red pepper, add to the celery and leeks, stir and cover the pan,leaving it for 5 minutes to sweat down. Add the chopped mushrooms and vegetable stock, turmeric, black pepper  and stir.
Once the lentils have softened add to the vegetable mixture and gently mix. leave to simmer on a low heat.

Pre heat oven to 180oC fan

wash the butternut squash and potatoes thoroughly as we will be keeping the skins on.
Once you have washed them, chop into cubes, rinse, add boiling water and simmer till they become soft (about 15-20 minutes)
Drain and mash well, add salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer the lentil mixture to the oven dish,






Then Add the Vegetable mash, layering or sprinkling the vegan cheese on top.

Bake for half an hour, and serve with your favourite green veg. I had peas and kale. and a dollop of mayo!


We even had berry crumble after!






I used chestnut flour, millet, vegan marge and coconut sugar for the crumble topping, and added maple syrup and amaretto to the berries, Seriously naughty!

Seriously stuffed now.

Hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did!


Fancy cake for dessert? Try this Cupcake recipe 



No comments:

Post a Comment